Scrumptious Chocolate Cake
1 1/2 cups (170g) gluten-free self-raising flour
1/2 cup (45g) cocoa powder
3/4 cup (115g) lightly packed brown sugar
175g milk-free margarine, melted
1/2 cup (140g) apple puree
1-2 tablespoons vanilla soy or rice milk
3 tablespoons raspberry pure fruit spread
200g strawberries, sliced
75g plain milk-free soy chocolate, chopped*
1. Preheat oven to 180Â°C (350Â°F/Gas 4). Grease a 20 cm (8 in) round cake tin with a little melted milk-free margarine and line the base of the tin with baking paper.
2. Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a bowl and stir in the brown sugar. Make a well in the centre.
3. Whisk together the margarine, apple puree and milk. Pour into the well and mix well.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre. Set aside on a wire rack to cool completely before removing the cake from the tin.
5. Cut the cooled cake in half using a serrated knife. Spread the fruit spread over the bottom half and top with the strawberries. Replace the cake top.
6. Melt the chocolate in a pan and drizzle over the top of the cake.
* Milk-free soy chocolate is available from health-food shops.
Egg, Peanut and Dairy Free