12 even-sized chat potatoes
4 bacon rashers, rind and excess fat trimmed, finely chopped
60g (1/4 cup) good-quality whole-egg mayonnaise
40g sour cream
1 small garlic clove, crushed
30g drained gherkins, finely chopped
1/4 cup loosely packed finely chopped fresh dill
4 green shallots, ends trimmed, finely sliced
2 Tbsp finely chopped capers
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Boil uncovered for 10 minutes or until tender when pierced with a skewer. Drain and then set aside for 30 minutes to cool completely. Cut in half and place in a large serving bowl.
2. Meanwhile, place the egg in a small saucepan of cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and gently boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes for medium-hard boiled. Drain and cool under cold running water. Peel and set aside.
3. Heat a small non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until crisp. Remove from heat.
4. Combine the mayonnaise, sour cream and garlic in a small bowl.
5. Add the bacon, gherkin, dill, green shallots and capers to the bowl with the potato. Gently toss to combine. Add the sour-cream mixture and toss to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
6. Cut the egg into quarters and arrange on top of the potatoes.