Pina Colada Ice
Serves 8 to 10
1 large pineapple
25g creamed coconut, chopped
2 Tablespoons boiling water
2 egg whites
125g caster sugar
6 Tablespoons white rum
284ml whipping cream, whipped
1. Cut the pineapple in half lengthways. Scrape out the flesh and juice into a bowl, discarding the hard core. Chill the shells in the refrigerator. Work the flesh and juice in an electric blender or food processor to make a puree.
2. Blend the coconut cream with the boiling water, leave to cool.
3. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then gradually whisk in the sugar.
4. Mix the pineapple puree with the coconut and rum. Fold this into the cream with the meringue mixture. Turn into a rigid freezer-proof container, cover, seal and freeze for 1 1/2 hours. Remove from the freezer and stir well, then re-freeze until firm.
5. Transfer to the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving to soften. Scoop into the chilled pineapple shells and arrange on a dish.