Mushroom and Ricotta Pasties
Makes 4 HUGE pasties, which freeze well.
30 g butter
300 g mushrooms – chopped
6 spring onions – chopped
4 carrots – grated
500 g ricotta cheese
1/3 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
2 eggs – lightly beaten
4 sheets ready rolled wholemeal shortcrust pastry
1 egg lightly beaten – extra
2 tablespoons sunflower kernels
Note: If the ricotta is watery, drain it before use.
1. Heat butter in pan, and cook mushrooms till soft.
2. Add spring onions and carrots. Cook, stirring, until carrot is soft.
3. Transfer mixture to a bowl and allow to cool slightly.
4. Add the ricotta and Parmesan cheeses, and the 2 beaten eggs to the veggie mixture. Combine.
5. Cut each sheet of pastry into a 20cm (8″) round.
6. Brush edges of the pastry with water.
7. Divide the veggie and cheese mixture between the rounds. Fold the pasties in half, pressing edges together firmly to seal.
8. Brush the pasties with the extra beaten egg, and sprinkle with the sunflower kernels.
9. Place on a lightly greased oven tray, and bake in a moderately hot oven for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
10. Serve with a green salad.