Mocha Hazelnut Mud Cake
1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
2 Tbsp instant coffee powder
1/2 cup hot water
1 1/2 x 200g blocks dark chocolate, chopped
300g unsalted butter, chopped
8 eggs, separated
2 2/3 cups caster sugar
2 x 100g packets hazelnut meal
2 Tbsp coffee-flavoured liqueur
1 cup Dark Choc Melts, melted
Icing sugar mixture and frozen mixed berries, to decorate
1. Grease a deep springform cake pan (26cm base). Line base and side of pan twice with baking paper.
2. Combine cocoa, coffee powder, water, chocolate and butter in a medium pan. Stir over a low heat until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. Beat egg yolks and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until thick and creamy. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in chocolate mixture, hazelnut meal and liqueur.
4. Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture, in two batches. Pour mixture into lined pan. Cover pan loosely with foil.
5. Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 1 1/2 hours. Remove foil and cook a further 1 hour, or until cooked when tested (cake should be slightly wet when tested). Stand cake in pan for 30 minutes, then refrigerate for 4 hours, or until cold.
6. Meanwhile, place melted chocolate into a medium snap-lock bag and squeeze into one corner. Twist the bag and then snip the end. Pipe seven 8cm squares onto a large sheet of baking paper, in a criss-cross pattern. Stand at room temperature until set. Carefully lift squares from baking paper.
7. Remove cake from pan and place onto a large serving plate. Dust with sifted icing sugar mixture and decorate with chocolate squares and frozen mixed berries.