Har Gow (Shrimp Dumplings)
1 1/2 cups wheat starch
1/2 cup tapioca flour
dash of salt
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound fresh shrimp
1 Tablespoon dry sherry
1 small can water chestnuts, chopped
1 teaspoon chopped gingerroot
1 Tablespoon chopped scallion
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 or 2 teaspoons sesame oil
dash of black pepper
Preparation for the dough:
1. To make the dough for the wrappings, sift starch, flour and salt into a bowl. Pour the boiling water of this mixture and mix well with chopsticks. Let stand five to ten minutes.
2. Knead dough until smooth and elastic for about two minutes; add oil and knead again until well mixed.
3. Divide the dough into four parts and roll each of them into a long cylinder. Cut each cylinder and roll into a ball then flatten with the cleaver to make wrappers about 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
Preparation for the dumplings:
1. Combine the remaining ingredients and mix will, this makes the filling.
2. Fill each dumpling with 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of filling. Repeat until all filling is used up.
3. Pleat or gather each wrapper into a 1/2 inch basket shape around the filling and shape the seal off the top.
4. Put the sealed dumplings in a well greased round cake pan lined with one or more large leaves of lettuce. The put the pan in a steamer and steam over boiling water for about ten minutes.
5. Serve with hoisin sauce, if desired.