Diabetic Christmas Cake
1 1/2 cups sultanas
1/2 cup raisins
2 tablespoons brandy
1 cup sieved pumpkin (no lumps)
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup apple concentrate
1/2 cup skim or low fat milk
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1-teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 cup white self-raising flour
1-cup wholemeal self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1. Mix sultanas, raisins, brandy and water, soak overnight
2. Mix pumpkin, eggs, apple concentrate and milk.
3. Add soaked fruit, nuts and spices, then sifted flour and bicarbonate of soda. Return bran left in sieve to flour mixture. Mix well with wooden spoon.
4. Spoon into a lightly greased 20cm cake tin.
5. Bake 10 minutes at 200C, then turn down the heat and bake at 180C until cooked through and browned. (approx. 1-1 1/4 hours).
The apple concentrate gives sweetness to this cake and the dried fruit and pumpkin gives fibre.