2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
1/4 cup tomato paste
4 cups red lentils
2 cups vegetable stock
4 1/2 cups water
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
3 baby eggplants, roughly chopped
salt to taste
1. In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes or until onion is soft.
2. Add dried spices and cook a further 1 minute or until spices are fragrant. Stir through tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Place in slow cooker.
3. Rinse lentils in water, until water runs clear. Put in slower cooker with remaining ingredients, except salt and stir well to combine all ingredients.
4. Cook on HIGH 1-2 hours or on LOW for 4-5 hours.
5. Season to taste serve hot.