Coffee and Caramel Muffins
Melted butter, for greasing, optional
2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
125g butter, melted, cooled
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp instant espresso coffee
3/4 cup water
380g can NestlÃ© caramel filling
1. Preheat the oven to 200Â°C. Line a 12-hole 1/3-cup-capacity muffin tin with fluted muffin papers or brush the base only with melted butter.
2. Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir the lightly packed sugar into the dry ingredients.
3. Place the cooled butter, eggs, instant coffee and water in a jug and beat with a fork to combine. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, pour in the butter mixture and mix with the fork until just combined.
4. Spoon mixture evenly into each muffin hole, filling only half full. Add a heaped teaspoon of the caramel topping to each hole, and then fill up with the remaining muffin mixture.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes, remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes in the pan. Then remove the muffins from pan to a wire rack to cool further.
Note: Muffins must stand for at least 5 minutes before eating otherwise you will burn your mouth with the hot caramel filling.