1/3 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/8 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
1-1/2 pounds plum tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 loaf French Bread (8 ounces), spit horizontally
Small fresh basil leaves for garnish
1. Prepare seasoning oil: Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic, basil and red-pepper flakes; cook, stirring, 5 to 7 minutes or until garlic is golden. Cool the oil and strain.
2. Meanwhile, prepare tomato topping: Stir together tomatoes, basil, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
3. Heat oven to 500 degrees F.
4. Brush cut sides of split bread with about 2 tablespoons seasoning oil. Place on a baking sheet. Bake in heated 500 degree F. oven 3 to 5 minutes or until golden.
5. Slice toasted bread into 2-inch widths and arrange on a large serving platter. Spoon tomato topping over and garnish with fresh basil leaves.