Swiss Carrot Cake
2 Tbsp soft white breadcrumbs
2 medium large carrots grated
200g ground almonds
3/4 cup castor sugar
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 Tbsp lemon juice
3 Tbsp plain flour
1. Butter a 20cm springform pan and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
2. Beat egg yolks, sugar, lemon rind and juice until light and fluffy.
3. Stir in carrots, almonds and sifted flour and mix well.
4. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, fold lightly into carrot mixture.
5. Pour into prepared in and bake in moderate oven for 1 and 1/4 hours. Leave in tin to get cold.
6. Ice with Kirsch icing; decorate with tiny marzipan carrots.
1 cup pure icing sugar
1 Tbsp Kirsch
2 tsp water
1. Sift icing sugar into small heatproof bowl, stir in kirsch and water to give thick paste.
2. Stir over hot water until of spreading consistency.
3. Tint a delicate shade of orange.