Makes 20 servings.
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
1 cup strawberry preserve
2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
1. Grease an 8×8″ square pan.
2. In a medium saucepan combine sugar, water and Cream of Tartar; bring to a boil. Heat to 120°C, or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a firm but pliable ball.
3. Stir in the strawberry preserve then return to a boil and remove from heat.
4. Slowly pour the strawberry mixture over the beaten egg whites, stirring constantly. Beat until thick and fluffy. Pour into prepared pan.
5. Cool for 2 hours, or until firm, and cut into squares.