Spinach and Fetta Pie
3 x 250g packets frozen spinach, thawed, drained
250g fetta cheese, crumbled
250g ricotta cheese
1/4 cup (40g) finely grated parmesan cheese
6 green onions (green shallots), chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 egg, beaten lightly
salt and freshly ground pepper
12 sheets filo pastry
80g butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to moderate (180Â°C/160Â°C fan-forced). Grease 24cm springform pan.
2. Squeeze the excess liquid from spinach with hands. Chop spinach finely. Combine the spinach, cheeses, onions, garlic, herbs, lemon juice, egg and salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
3. Layer 2 sheets of pastry, brushing each with some of the butter. Fold in half lengthways, place in prepared pan, edges overhanging. Repeat with 6 more sheets, overlapping strips clockwise around pan until covered.
4. Spoon the spinach mixture into the pan, fold edges back onto filling; brush with butter.
5. Layer remaining 4 pastry sheets, fold in half crossways; brush with butter. Place on pie, trim pastry a little larger than pan. Tuck pastry edge inside pan.
6. Bake about 45 minutes or until browned; cover with foil if pie starts to get over-brown. Stand 15 minutes before cutting.
Not suitable to freeze.
Not suitable to microwave.