Rustic plum cake
400g plain flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
300g caster sugar, plus 2 Tbsp extra for topping
4 large eggs
2teaspoons grated lemon rind
150g unsalted butter, melted and cooled til lukewarm
8-10 plums halved and stoned
1. Preheat oven to 180 C. Line buttered round 26cm tin with buttered baking paper.
2. Sift flour and powder into a bowl set aside.
3. Combine eggs and sugar. Whisk until mix is pale and thick.
4. Fold in flour and lemon rind in three batches, alternating with melted butter.
5. Spoon half the batter into tin, top with plums cut sides up.
6. Spoon rest of batter on top and put on rest of plums.
Sprinkle with extra sugar and bake for 60 -70 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
7. Cool on rack for ten minutes.
8. Serve with ice-cream.