500 grams self raising flour, sieved
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs, separated
375 ml milk
120 grams butter, melted
45 grams castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1. In a mixing bowl sieve the flour, sugar and baking powder. Beat the egg yolks in a separate bowl and add the milk and melted butter. At this stage you may also add the vanilla essence.
2. Add all the sieved ingredients to the egg yolks and beat to a lump free consistency.
3. Just prior to cooking, place the egg whites in a very clean bowl and with an electric beater; beat until the egg whites form a stiff meringue. Fold the meringue into the batter.
4. If you have a waffle iron, heat it over the gas or electric element on your stove top, if you do not have a waffle iron, then use a heavy based fry pan and use egg rings to help form the shape.
5. Once your waffle iron is heated, grease the surface with oil and pour in about 1/3 of the batter, close the lid and bake until steam stops coming from the sides. Check the waffles, they should be a golden brown colour and slightly crisp, turn out and repeat this process until all the batter is cooked.
6. Serve hot with your favourite topping.
If using a fry pan, heat the pan and oil it, add the egg rings and fill 2/3 with the batter. Cook for two to three minutes or until the base begins to brown and crisp up, use an egg slide and turn it over and continue cooking until the reverse side is cooked. As with the waffle method, use an appropriate topping.