Oat and Currant Tarts
1/3 cup currants
juice of 1/2 orange
1/4 cup caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond essence
1 small egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 sheet shortcrust pastry
2 teaspoons strawberry jam
1. In a saucepan, combine currants and juice and bring to the boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
2. Using a Mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is pale in colour. Add almond essence, egg and oats, combine together.
3. Using the small pastry cutter, cut 4 bases on each pastry sheet.
4. Fill each pastry base with 1/2 teaspoon jam, 1 tablespoon currants. Divide oat mixture evenly between pastry cases.
5. Cook for 12 minutes. Allow to cool.
Note: This recipe makes an ideal accompaniment with morning or afternoon tea.