Corned Beef with White Sauce
1 kg piece corned beef (silverside)
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 carrot, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
2 cups milk
pinch ground cloves
1/4 cup cooking broth from the corned silverside
1. Place the corned beef, onion and carrot in a large saucepan. Cover with water and add the vinegar, brown sugar, bay leaves and peppercorns.
2. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer gently, covered, for 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
3. To make the white sauce, melt the butter over medium heat, then add the onion and cook until soft.
4. Sprinkle the flour over the onion and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and slowly whisk in milk. Return the heat and gradually bring to the boil, stirring until thick.
6. Season with the cloves, nutmeg and pepper, and stir in the cooking broth.