Photo by Julie O’Malley
Mushroom and Cashew Curry
45ml ghee or oil
2 onions, chopped
1-2 garlic cloves depending on their size, crushed
1 tsp chopped green chilli, add more if you like it hotter
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp tomato paste
500g button mushrooms, quartered
100g cashews, chopped, not too finely
good pinch saffron strands
125ml fresh cream or yoghurt
30ml fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Heat the ghee/oil in a large flat frypan.
- Add the onions and fry over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in the garlic, chilli, turmeric and salt, then fry for a few seconds.
- Add the tom paste. Cook, uncovered until the sauce thickens and the extra moisture has evaporated.
- Add the mushrooms, nuts, saffron and cream. Stir well, cover and simmer for about 10 mins over a low heat (You want the mushrooms to release their juices and add to the sauce).
- Garnish with parsley leaves and serve with hot roti or steamed basmati rice.