Feel Good Blueberry and Banana Pancakes
1 cup buttermilk
4 large eggs, separated
1 cup plain flour
a pinch of salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
1 cup fresh blueberries, washed and drained
canola oil spray
1-2 very ripe bananas, sliced
maple syrup or honey
1. Beat milk and egg yolks together.
2. Mix together flour, salt, sugar and bicarb.
3. In another bowl, using a hand electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
4. Combine flour and milk mixtures. (Don’t mix too well – it doesn’t matter if the egg white is not completely mixed in.) Then add blueberries.
5. Heat a heavy-bottomed pan, spray with oil and then pancake batter, a good heaped tablespoon at a time, being careful not to overcrowd. Cook until bubbles appear on top. Then press some sliced banana into them, flip over and cook until bottom is brown.
Put in a preheated 190’C oven while you make the rest. Then serve drizzled with maple syrup or honey.
Recipe by Iain Hewitson