Walnut Doughnuts with Chocolate Sauce
250g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 Tbsp caster sugar
2 tsp finely grated orange zest
50g roasted walnuts, crushed
50g unsalted butter, melted
5 Tbsp milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
vegetable oil, for deep frying
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
200g dark chocolate, chopped
20g cocoa powder
1. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, add the caster sugar, orange zest and walnuts and stir to combine.
2. Make a well in the centre and add the butter, milk and vanilla extract, mix into a dough.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently, then roll the dough out until it is 1/2cm thick. Cut the doughnuts into shapes using the desired cookie cutter.
4. Heat the vegetable oil in a deep fryer until it reaches 170’C. Fry the doughnuts for about 2 minutes each side or until golden. Drain on paper towel, combine the cinnamon and sugar then toss the doughnuts to coat.
5. To make the chocolate sauce, bring the cream and milk to the boil, remove from the heat and whisk in the chocolate and cocoa powder.
6. Serve the doughnuts warm with chocolate sauce on the side.