Vietnamese Bun Bo
1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 Tbsp finely chopped lemongrass
2 Tbsp kecap manis
2 Tbsp light olive oil
2 x 100g pieces of fillet steak
8 shiitake mushrooms
a splash of Asian fish sauce
2 heaped tsp Asian sweet and sour sauce – didn’t use
1 cup chicken or vegie stock
1/4 packet rice noodles
a small handful of bean sprouts
a small handful of roasted peanuts
1 long chilli, finely sliced
2 spring (green) onions, finely sliced
a small handful of watercress
a small handful of coriander leaves
a small handful of mint leaves
1. Combine the garlic, lemongrass, kecap manis and 2 Tbsp oil in a large bowl. Toss in the beef and refrigerate for 2 hours, turning over now and again.
2. Soak the shiitakes in hot water for at least 30 minutes. Then drain well, discard the stalks and slice.
3. When ready, soak the rice noodles in boiling water until separated and soft. Drain.
4. Heat a wok to smoking, add the beef and leave it to caramelise a little on both sides.
5. Then add the fish sauce, sweet and sour sauce, 1/4 cup stock and any marinade. Stir and cook until meat done to your liking.
6. Remove the steak (to rest) and add the shiitakes, bean sprouts, drained noodles, a little more stock if needed, roasted peanuts, chilli and spring onions to the wok. Toss well and briefly cook.
7. Toss the salad leaves together and place in the base of individual serving bowls. Then top with a piece of beef and the stir fried noodle mixture.