Kids will love helping make these for parties. Try serving them with jam as a sweet-cake dessert, or crumbled over canned peach slices as a way to incorporate fruit into a kid’s dessert.
2 softened sticks unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Frost with Traditional Vanilla Butter Cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter on medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth. Add the sugar gradually, and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Combine the flours, and add in four parts, alternating with the milk and the vanilla, beating well after each addition.
4. Scoop the batter into two 12-cup muffin tins lined with cupcake papers.
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into center comes out clean. Allow to cool thoroughly before icing. Makes 24 cupcakes.
Traditional Vanilla Butter Cream
A simple and delicious frosting recipe. Frost a batch of Vanilla Cupcakes with this!
2 very soft sticks unsalted butter
8 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 cups of the sugar and then the milk and the vanilla. Beat until smooth and creamy.
2. Gradually add the remaining sugar, one cup a at a time, until icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency. If desired, add a few drops of food colouring, and mix thoroughly.