Photo by Mem
2 cups strong black coffee
1/2 cup marsala (see note)
3 eggs, separated
1/3 cup caster sugar
300ml thickened cream, lightly whipped
1 large packet of sponge fingers (savoiardi)
cocoa, for dusting
1. Pour coffee and marsala into a shallow dish. Set aside.
2. Beat egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl with electric beaters until pale and thick. Add the mascarpone and whipped cream, mixing gently until just combined.
3. Beat eggwhites in a medium bowl with electric beaters until soft peaks form. Using a large metal spoon, gently fold eggwhites into the mascarpone mixture.
4. Dip enough biscuits into the coffee mixture to cover the base of a 19cm square ceramic dish. Cover the biscuits with one-third of the mascarpone mixture. Repeat layers 2 times, ending with the cream. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Dust generously with cocoa and serve.
5. Variation: Marsala can be replaced with orange juice if preferred.
Note: Marsala is fortified wine.