Sticky Date Pudding
1 1/4 cups water
1 cup chopped dates
3/4 cup caster sugar
60g butter, chopped
1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup gluten-free self-raising flour
Cream, to serve
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup cream
125g butter, chopped
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to moderately slow, 160Â°C. Lightly grease a small, 6-cup capacity ovenproof dish.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine water and dates. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes until dates have softened. Remove from heat. Add sugar, butter, soda and vanilla.
3. Allow to cool. Add flour and eggs, and mix until combined.
4. Pour into prepared dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes until cooked when tested with a skewer.
5. Sauce: In a saucepan, combine sugar, cream, butter and vanilla. Stir over a low heat until melted. Bring to boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Serve drizzled with sauce. Top with cream.