Cooking Oil Spray
2 brown Onions – thinly sliced
1 large Carrot – finely chopped
2 celery sticks – finely chopped
500g lean “diet” Chicken Mince or if you are vegetarian opt for lentils, lowering the fat content even more.
2 tablespoons Plain Flour
2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 Chicken Stock Cube
1.5kg Potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup Skim Milk
1/3 cup continental parsley, finely chopped
Paprika, for sprinkling
1. Lightly spray a large non-stick frying pan with the cooking oil and heat.
2. Add the onion, carrot, celery and stir about until the veggies being in soften. If they are sticking to the surface add a tablespoon of water.
3. Remove them from the pan and add the chicken mince. Cook over a high flame until well cooked.
4. Add the plain flour and stir about for a few minutes.
5. Return the veggies to the pan and add the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, stock cube and 2 cups of water. Bring it the boil while stirring and then lower the heat so that it simmers for about 20 minutes. Be sure to stir it occasionally to prevent it form sticking.
6. Meanwhile, prepare the potatoes to make a smooth mash using the skim milk.
7. When the mince mixture is cooked stir the chopped parsley through it and season with slat and pepper.
8. Pour the mixture into a 1.5 litre baking dish and spoon the mashed potato over the top, spreading it evenly with the back of a wet spoon.
9. Roughen up the potato with a fork, this will also give it a bit of crunch.
10. Sprinkle with the paprika and place it in the oven or under a grill until the potato turns golden brown and the top becomes crispy.