2 1/2 cups (600ml) skim or low-fat milk
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
3 slices wholegrain bread, crumbed
4 Tablespoons strawberry or raspberry purée
1. Separate two eggs and put egg whites aside.
2. Combine egg yolks with the other two whole eggs and beat.
3. Add milk and vanilla.
4. Distribute breadcrumbs evenly between the four individual baking dishes.
5. Pour equal amounts of custard mixture into each dish.
6. Put individual dishes in a larger baking dish, and carefully pour in water until it reaches two-thirds up the outside of the individual baking dishes. Bake in a preheated 180c (350f) oven for 30-45 minutes.
7. When cooked, carefully spread top of custard with fruit purée.
8. Beat the remaining two egg whites until they are stiff and fold in caster sugar and pile over purée.
9. Bake for about five minutes until meringue is lightly browned.
STORAGE: Cover and refrigerate for up to two days.
NUTRITIONAL DATA PER SERVE:
793 KJ (189 cal), CHO 21g, protein 13g, fat 6g.