Photo by Julie O’Malley
salt and pepper
6-8 slices osso bucco (veal or beef)
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced carrot
1 cup diced celery
1 cup dry red wine
1 x 800g tin diced Italian tomatoes
1 500g jar tomato pasta sauce (shop bought is fine)
2 bay leaves
zest of 1 lemon
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley
1. Season the flour with salt and pepper.
2. Dip osso bucco slices in seasoned flour
3. Fry meat in a big pan in some olive oil until well sealed and deep golden brown.
4. Set meat aside in a casserole dish.
5. Saute carrot, celery and onion over gentle heat for 10 minutes.
6. Add red wine and tomatoes (with juice) Stir.
7. Pour tomato mixture over meat.
8. Add bay leaf and lid.
9. Bake at 150c for 4 hours until meat is meltingly tender and falling off the bones (or do it all day in a slow cooker/ crockpot)
To Make Gremolata:
Combine minced garlic, finely grated lemon skin/zest and finely chopped parsley.
Sprinkle with gremolata.
Serve with crusty bread, soft polenta or pasta.