Lime and Buttermilk Cake
250g butter, softened
2 limes, rind finely grated, juiced
1 cup caster sugar
3 eggs, separated
2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
1 cup pure icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp milk
1 to 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
1. Preheat oven to 170ºC. Grease and line 20cm round cake tin.
2. Using electric mixer on high speed, cream butter, 1 Tbsp lime rind and sugar until fluffy. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, mixing well.
3. Transfer to large bowl. Stir in half the flour. Add half the buttermilk and 1 Tbsp lime juice. Fold in remaining flour and buttermilk and 1 Tbsp lime juice.
4. Using clean electric beaters, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into batter.
5. Spread batter into pan and smooth surface. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool for 5 minutes in pan, then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Make Lime Icing: Combine icing sugar, milk and enough lime juice to form a thick icing. Spread icing over cake and allow to set before serving.