1 1/2 kg boned and diced lamb shoulder
2 Tbsp oil
3 large onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
2 Tbsp curry powder
3 tsp salt
2 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
3 large ripe tomatoes
2 fresh red or green chillies
2 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
1 tsp garam masala
1 Tbsp fresh coriander or mint, chopped
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, and gently fry the onion, garlic and ginger until soft and golden.
2. Add the curry powder, salt and vinegar and stir thoroughly.
3. Add the lamb and cook, stirring constantly until the lamb is coated with the spice mixture.
4. Add the tomatoes, chillies and mint.
5. Cover and cook over a very low heat for 1 1/4 hours or until the lamb is tender, stirring occasionally.
6. Add the garam masala and chopped coriander in the last 5 minutes of cooking. *note-the tomatoes should provide enough liquid for the meat to cook in, but if necessary, add a little hot water, (approximately 1/2 a cup) just enough to stop the meat sticking to the saucepan.
7. Serve warm with saffron rice or with your favourite Indian roti.