Hot Cross Buns
450g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mixed spice
25g fine candied peel
275ml slightly warmed milk
25g fresh yeast (better much result with fresh – although dry will do)
100g melted butter
60g caster sugar
2 beaten eggs
1. Combine milk, yeast and butter.
2. Add sugar and eggs.
3. Mix in separate bowl: flour, salt and spice.
4. Make well in centre and add liquid, beat until smooth.
5. Knead in currants and peel on floured board, until no longer sticky.
6. Place in greased bowl, cover, leave 1.5 hrs.
7. Knock down and let rise again (optional).
8. Shape into 16 buns, place on greased tray and leave for 20 mins to “prove”.
9. Brush top with sweetened milk..
10. Mix flour, water and some oil to make a little dough for crosses.
11. Roll in hands to make little strips to form cross. Place on top of buns.
12. Bake at 220C for 15mins.
You may want to leave a tray of water at bottom of oven to provide a steamy atmosphere.