1/2 teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground Ginger
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 cup warm golden syrup
Currants and Glace cherries
* Cream butter and sugar.
* Mix in all ingredients except syrup, currants, cherries and icing.
* Warm the Golden Syrup in a small saucepan until it is runny and mix in enough to make a soft dough.
* Kneed the dough and roll out to between 1/2 cm to 1 cm thick.
* Cut out your gingerbread people.
* Put figures on a greased oven tray and add currants, for eyes and buttons, and bits of cherry for the mouth.
* Bake in moderate oven (180c (350f) for 10 to 15 minutes.
* Leave to cool in the tray for a while before putting them out onto wire cooling rack.
* When cold decorate with icing .