Flourless Orange Cake
350g caster sugar
350g almond meal
1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
whipped cream, to serve
2/3 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
1 orange, rind zested and flesh segmented
1. Place oranges into a medium sized saucepan; add enough water to the pan so that the oranges are covered.
2. Cover and bring to the boil.
3. Reduce heat to low, and cook the oranges for approximately 15 minutes, or until soft.
4. Discard poaching liquid and allow oranges to cool.
5. Using a food processor, blend oranges to a coarse paste. Set aside until required. With an electric beater, cream the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Add almond meal and orange puree and essence, and mix to combine.
6. Pour mixture into a greased and lined 20 cm square cake tin, and bake in a pre-heated 190Â°C oven for approximately 45 minutes- 1 hour. If top starts to burn then lay a sheet of alfoil loosely over the top of the tin.
7. Serve cake drizzled with orange syrup and fresh orange segments.
Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and add zest, simmer for approximately 5 minutes.