300ml pure cream
1 split vanilla bean
zest of 1 orange, finely grated
1 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup water
3 extra egg yolks
60g caster sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 150’C (fan-forced).
2. Combine milk and pure cream, vanilla bean and the zest in a saucepan over low heat. Cook until warm, then set aside for 1 hour.
3. Add caster sugar and water to a medium saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium and cook for 10-15 minutes or until syrup turns a caramel colour. Divide into 6 x 125m1 (1/2 cup) capacity ramekins, swirling to coat base and sides.
4. Whisk eggs, egg yolks and caster sugar in a bowl. Add cream and milk to egg mixture, then whisk. Strain into ramekins, over caramel.
5. Place ramekins in a deep baking dish and pour hot water into dish, halfway up ramekins. Place the dish in the oven, cook for 35-45 minutes or until set.
6. Remove ramekins from the oven and refrigerate.
To serve: Dip base of ramekin in hot water for 10 seconds, then invert on plate.