1 tsp vanilla essence
350g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
225g caster sugar
150g shredded coconut
75g unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. Lightly whisk eggs, milk and vanilla together.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a bowl, add sugar and coconut, and stir to combine.
4. Make a well in the centre and gradually stir in the egg mixture until just combined.
5. Add melted butter and stir until the mixture is just smooth, being careful not to over-mix.
6. Pour into a greased and floured 21x10cm (8x4in) loaf tin and bake in the preheated oven for one hour, or until bread is cooked when tested with a skewer.
7. Leave in tin to cool for five minutes, and remove to cool further on a wire rack.
8. Serve in thick slices, toasted, buttered and dusted with icing sugar. Makes 8-10 thick slices.
Note: You can freeze the cooked coconut bread. If you slice it first, you will be able to take a slice or two out as you need it. Defrost it then toast and serve as above.