Chocolate Hazelnut Cake
200g dark chocolate, chopped
200g butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 3/4 cups self-raising flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup milk
1 cup choc-hazelnut spread (such as Nutella)
80 small solid chocolate Easter eggs
1. Preheat oven to 160Â°C. Grease and line a 20cm (base) round cake pan. Place chocolate into a heatproof, microwave-safe bowl. Heat on MEDIUM (50%) power for 2 minutes, stirring every minute with a metal spoon, or until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla essence until creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Add cooled chocolate. Mix well.
3. Sift flour and cocoa powder together. Fold half the flour mixture into chocolate mixture. Fold half the milk into chocolate mixture. Repeat with remaining flour mixture and milk.
4. Spoon cake batter into cake pan. Smooth surface. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand for 15 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Spread choc-hazelnut spread over cake. Top with Easter eggs. Serve.
Hint: This cake will keep in an airtight container for up to 1 week.