Wheat and Dairy Free
225g maple crystals or date sugar
90g wholemeal spelt flour
60g unbleached white spelt flour
75g cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
240ml filtered water
180ml extra-virgin olive oil
150g unsweetened stewed apple
2 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 160C, gas 3.
2. Line the cupcake tin with paper cases.
3. Sift the maple sugar, spelt flours, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into a large mixing bowl, and stir several times with a large wooden spoon to combine.
4. Place the remaining ingredients into a blender and process until smooth and well combined, about 30 seconds.
5. Fold the wet ingredients from the blender into the dry ingredients in the bowl, stirring until well combined. Do not leave any lumps. Three-quarter fill each paper case with batter.
6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until skewer inserted in the middle of each pulls out cleanly.