3 chicken thighs
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tomatoes, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
1 tablespoon sugar
480mL chicken stock
50g unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon anise seed
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons crushed chilli flakes
1/8 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan, add the chicken and brown on all sides.
2. Remove the chicken to a baking dish and set aside. Add the onions to the pan and fry until softened, the stir in the tomatoes and sugar, and cook gently for 5 minutes.
3. Add the stock to the frying pan, bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, add the cocoa to 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and mix to form a paste. Add cloves, cinnamon, anise seed, salt, pepper, chili and cayenne and blend well.
5. Stir the spice mixture into the simmering sauce mixture, mix well and simmer for a further 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
6. Pour the sauce mixture over the chicken, cover and bake for 1-1/2 hours until the chicken is very tender. Serve hot.