10 strands saffron soaked in 1 1/2 cups salt reduced chicken stock for 30 mins before starting the recipe, then add 1/2 cup white wine and put aside
600g skinless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
1 chorizo sliced
1 red onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 long red chilli finely chopped (including seeds)
4 rindless bacon rashers finely sliced
2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 cups long grain rice
1 red capsicum seeds removed and chopped
1 cup frozen peas
3 Tbsp chopped cont parsley leaves
- Heat a little oil in a paella pan or wide open heavy based pan over medium to high heat.
- Cook chicken in batches for 4 mins or until golden. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add chorizo, onion, garlic, chilli, bacon and paprika and cook for 3 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add rice and capsicum, stir for a minute to coat with oil. Reduce heat to medium.
- Pour the stock, saffron and wine combination over the rice and stir in.
- Push the chicken into the rice mixture. Reduce heat to low and cook (uncovered) for 15 minutes or until the rice is nearly cooked.
- Add peas and cook for a further 5 minutes. If rice is not cooked through add a little more stock and cook until done.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle parsley over paella and serve with crusty bread.
Tip: The rice is meant to be quite dry, not wet like risotto. The base should be crusty and golden.