4 single chicken breast fillets, skinned (125g each)
8 large spring onions
16 small ‘cherry’ tomatoes
For the Marinade:
Juice of one lemon
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 French shallots, or 1 small onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon chopped ginger
2 green chillis, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
2 tablespoons chopped parsley or oregano
1. Trim chicken and cut into 2.5cm cubes. Place in a bowl.
2. To Prepare Marinade: Pour lemon juice over chicken first. Heat olive oil in a small frying pan and fry French shallots, garlic, ginger and chillis on a medium heat, until shallots are soft. Remove from heat and stir in tomato sauce and herb. Add to chicken and stir.
3. Cover chicken and marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour.
4. Peel spring onions and cut into 2cm lengths, using both white and green part of stalk. Wash tomatoes in cold water and dry them well.
5. Thread chicken cubes onto 8 pre-soaked bamboo skewers, dividing evenly, and adding 2 tomatoes and a piece of spring onion to each one.
6. Cook under a pre-heated hot grill, or over a medium-hot barbecue, brushing with marinade and turning frequently, until evenly cooked, about 10 minutes.