Photo by EmmCee
120g softened unsalted butter
150g caster sugar (2/3 of a cup)
2 Tbsp kirsch or brandy
200g almond meal
2 x 125g of fresh blueberries
Icing sugar to dust
Thick cream or ice cream to serve
1 2/3 cups (250g) plain flour
100g chilled unsalted butter, cubed
100g castor sugar (a little bit less than half a cup)
2 egg yolks + 1 whole egg for brushing
For the Shortcrust Pastry:
1. Combine sugar and flour in a wide bowl and rub in chilled butter until it resembles sand or breadcrumbs.
2. Incorporate eggs yolks with a butter knife and form dough; if it is not coming together add 1 Tbsp chilled water. These steps can also be done in a food processor.
3. Form pastry into a ball and cover in plastic wrap, refrigerate for one hour.
4. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to 3-5mm thick. Use to line a 26-28 cm diameter tart tin. Chill for a further 20 minutes.
5. Blind bake the pastry shell in an oven preheated to 180 degrees for 10 minutes. (Line with baking paper and use rice or blind baking beads).
6. Remove rice and glaze with beaten egg, bake a further 5 minutes until dry.
For the Filling:
1.Cream butter and sugar with electric beaters until thick and pale.
2. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition and then add the Kirsch or Brandy.
3. Fold in almond meal.
4. Cover base of pastry shell with 1 punnet of blueberries, cover with almond cake mix and top with remaining blueberries.
5. Bake for 25 minutes or until pastry is golden.
6. Let cool, dust with icing sugar and serve with cream.