Serves: serves 6-8
2 kg chuck or round steak, diced
1/2 cup flour
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 bunches of spring onion, stalk trimmed, peeled and left whole
3 carrots, diced
4 celery stalks, sliced
1/3 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine
1 cup semi dried tomatoes
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
2 bay leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Fresh thyme as a garnish
1. Dust beef in flour, shaking off excess flour. Heat oil in a large frying pan and cook beef in batches until brown. Transfer to slow cooker.
2. To the same pan, add onion and garlic, cook stirring for 1-2 minutes, or until onion is softened. Add carrots and celery and cook for a further 3 minutes.
3. Stir tomato paste into the vegetables, cook 1 minute. Add wine and allow alcohol to evaporate and liquid to reduce slightly. About 2 minutes.
4. Place vegetables and remaining ingredients in slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH 3-4 hours or LOW 5-6 hours.
5. Season to taste and serve hot with mashed potatoes or a thick Italian Bread.